Building A Dance Floor

I benefited a lot from other blogs in designing and building my dance floor/exercise room, so I thought I’d give back by describing my process!

In theory what I did could be done in a weekend or two by someone dedicated, but due to all the other projects involved in purchasing a new house (and procrastination) I didn’t actually get around to finishing it for about six months. A lot of that time was spent collecting materials and designing. Fortunately my dance studio was expanding into a new space right around the time I bought my house, so I go a good discount on leftover materials:

  • Thick (about 3/4″) plywood boards for the dance surface
  • Dance underlayment foam
  • Shower pan liner (the cheap version of marley flooring)

I also had to purchase several materials:

  • Vapor barrier
  • 2×4’s to spring the floor
  • Hardware for assembly (screws, glue, tape, joining plates)
  • Mirrors (a great deal – $50 for 10 mirrored closet doors on Craigslist)
  • Foam flooring for the non-dance areas

All told I think I spent < $500 on the whole room. For comparison, I saw just the marley covering (proper marley, not shower pan liner) for sale for $355 in a size to cover my dance floor area, or putting up 8 new mirrors would have been around $400. It wasn’t cheap, but I tried to be thrifty!

Once we had gotten the plywood boards for the dance surface into our basement (we had to cut them in half because we have an extra small landing, which involved buying sawhorses and borrowing a circular saw), I was able to plan out the dimensions for actually springing the floor.

20170508_071928

For my non-American readers who use a superior measurement system, there are about 2.5 centimeters in an inch, and about 30.5 cm in a foot. Also, in my defense, I really was looking for Duck Tape, which is a brand name for duct tape, because they had an electrical grade version.

I decided to go with one layer of 2×4’s with further cushioning provided by the dance floor foam underlayment. My fiancĂ© and I went back and forth quite a bit on this one, trying to balance spring and reducing impact with providing enough support under the boards. We finally settled on the above design.

Once the boards and hardware were all purchased, we could finally start building. I first laid out the vapor barrier for the dance floor portion and then put out the boards.

20170520_171948 (1)

Before assembling the frame, I went ahead and cut out strips for each board from my roll of foam. There wasn’t quite enough from my studio’s leftovers to do both sides of the boards or to just lay it completely out under the plywood boards. We had the store cut the boards to size for us so they would fit in our car, but they weren’t particularly accurate so some adjustments were needed.

20170523_204306

Next was putting the frame together. I used mending plates for the assembly. While good for this kind of joining, they were pretty painful to use properly. If I was doing it again, I would get the kind with holes to put nails through instead of the kind with little spikes on the back.

20170527_135134

Once the frame was together, I glued the foam on the top using gorilla glue. If I were to do this again I would use a more instantaneous glue. Unfortunately my glue type required both clamping and several hours of set time. Progress was halted while I made some makeshift clamping attempts and let the glue dry.

20170527_150520

Once all the foam was set, we screwed the plywood boards onto the frame. At this point I realized I had improperly measured and one set of boards was wider than the other two sets. Creative screwing was applied due to frame overlap and we declared it “good enough”, but if you build a dance floor remember to measure carefully and don’t assume things are symmetrical!

20170604_130935

The final step for this part of the project was to cut and apply the shower pan liner (marley) covering!

To finish off the room, I wanted to set up an exercise area in the other corner of the L-shaped room using foam puzzle piece flooring and put up mirrors on as many walls as possible. That started with the vapor barrier on the basement floor.

As soon as the underlayment was down, I added the foam puzzle pieces. The ones I ordered sort of look like wood grain, which I thought was nice. These went down pretty easily though I had to cut to size in many areas. They cut with the boxcutter but it was a bit of effort due to their thickness. This flooring provides a bit of relief from the impact of weight lifting and are nice for floor work.

20170624_120955

While I still have a few details to conquer (I want to clean the printing off the dance floor, add trophy/medal display shelving, add a short barre, and remove some of the clutter that remains), the room is mostly done, functional, and is looking way better than its previous incarnation as unfinished storage space! The foam flooring and mirrors especially help the room feel lighter and more spacious.

20170624_172144

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s